Civil Defence ‘Storm Desmond’ Relief Efforts
11 December 2015
Friday 4th December – Friday 11th December 2015
Civil Defence Units in 16 separate local authority areas activated.
250 Volunteers called out – Average of 16 deployed assisting in an area at any given time.
Civil Defence has 4,500 volunteers based in every Local Authority area in the country. The organisation has a wide range of equipment to deal with flooding including 88 Boats, 47 Fire Tenders, 9 Floating Pontoon Units and 130 Four Wheel Drive vehicles.
Civil Defence response will continue as long as required.
Cork West, Westmeath, Clare, Leitrim, Limerick, Longford, Galway,Cork South, Mayo, Roscommon, Donegal, Cavan, Kerry, Monaghan, Sligo & Laois
- Evacuation of People from flooded homes
- Transportation of evacuees (in 4×4’s)
- Water Pumping
- Filling & Deployment of Sandbags
- Traffic Control
- Monitoring of water levels
- Manning of Command & Control Units
- Transportation of home help to elderly
- Transportation of patients from Nursing Homes
- Distribution of Bottled Water
- Provided Hot Meals to those on relief duties
- Rescue of persons from cars trapped in floodwaters
- Recovery of 2 Bodies from Floodwaters
- Transporting supplies to isolated families
- Moving animals from flooded lands