UPDATE 30/01/2012: Cork West Civil Defence – Search Operation, Glandore, January 2012
January 30, 2012
70 Civil Defence personnel & 70 divers continued the search on Saturday the 28th and Sunday the 29th January 2012 for the bodies of Michael Hayes and Said Aliy Eldin, missing since the trawler ‘Tit Bonhomme’ sank in the early hours of Sunday morning 15th January.
Operations will continue this week with 20 Civil Defence personnel each day from Cork West, Cork South, Cork North, Cork City, North Tipperary & other parts of Munster.
The tasks undertaken by Civil Defence volunteers have included:
· Management, co-ordination and control of shoreline and coastal search teams from the main Incident Control Unit in conjunction with the IRCG.
· Manning and provision of communications, IT and GIS mapping equipment required for the operation.
· Search Teams from all Cork Civil Defence units conducting shoreline and coastal searches along a 18km
stretch of the west cork coast.
· Boat crews from Cork West and Cork City conducting sea searches as directed by LE Niamh.
· Heights Rescue team abseiling into inaccessible coastal areas as part of the co-ordinated search effort.
· Provision and manning of the temporary mortuary to receive bodies when recovered by dive teams.
· Manning of critical road junctions with the Gardaí as part of the Traffic management plan for the local area.
Link to photographs of Glandore Search